경주 Gyeongju Excursion: 석굴암 (Seokguram Grotto)

It's taken me a long time to upload photos, eh? I think at first it was hard for me to look at them. I miss Korea and my friends a lot...getting back on topic...

Today's is the first post of my photos from our second larger ISA excursion to 경주 Gyeongju. The first was to the DMZ and I'm not quite sure whether those will go up on this blog. Our second trip took us to Gyeongju located 4hrs (by bus) from Seoul in 경상북도 Gyeongsangbuk-do province. The drive there was pretty nice in a chartered bus, it was nice to see a bit of the countryside. Sometimes when you're in a large city, such as Seoul, you forget that there is more outside of the city.

Walking to Seokguram
 경주 was the capital of the Silla Dynasty and boasts many historic locations, some of which are now UNESCO World Heritage sites. If you are a history fan like me, this is a must-go! (here's a link to Gyeongju's guide website) Also be sure to try the famous 경주빵 (Gyeongju bread). It's packed with red beans and super tasty, I wish I'd gotten a photo! ^^; My only disappointment in this trip was that it was less than a day total and 8hrs on a bus.

So, onto the photos! (I admit there are many of lanterns because I find them beautiful ^^)

It was so sunny and beautiful the day we went. I think it would be hard to ask for better weather. Our first stop was at 석굴암 Seokguram Grotto. There's a short walk from the car park, but it's beautiful through a lantern lined wooded path and nothing too strenuous.


"Seokguram is an artificial stone temple made of granite, and is located on the eastern peak of Mt. Toham. Inside the round-shaped main hall, there are the Bonjon Statue, Bodhi-sattva and his disciples. Seokguram was built to preserve these statues. The Bonjon figure wearing a generous smile is seated on the stage engraved with lotus flower design. The rounded ceiling looks like a half-moon or a bow and has a lotus flower decorated cover on it." (see here)

I did warn you, I love the lanterns!
There's actually no photography allowed inside of the grotto, so I do not have any shots of the actual grotto. However, I will say it is really quite beautiful inside.

The view from up here is gorgeous. I believe someone mentioned you can see 불국사 Bulguksa Temple (which I will have a post on!). If I am wrong, please forgive! This was back in April ^^

He's cute, eh?
Two of my favourite colours, so bright and cheerful!

I love the details on historic buildings in Korea.
Under a ceiling of lanterns and sunshine ^^


I take a momentary pause from pictures of lanterns to present one awesome kid. George, if you ever see this, you are awesome. I wish you all the best in your future my friend.

I just really loved it under here.

Have you been to 경주 Gyeongju? What was your favourite spot?
If not, would you visit 석굴암 Seokguram?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

KonMari books; pretty and practical

Konkuk University, KU:L House dorms

Style: Tae Gong-sil of Master's Sun (주군의 태양)